Wednesday, July 15, 2009

"Las Chicas de San Francisco" Model Call

In the fall of 2005 I produced a series of 18 illustrations on photographs entitled "Las Chicas de Burque".  My intent was to create a fantasy portfolio of gangster pin-ups that paid homage to the homegirls I saw growing up in the late 1970s in my hometown of Albuquerque, or "Burque" for short.  For the finished pieces, I had my digital photographs printed on 18x24" sheets of fine drawing paper and added the illustrations with Sharpies.  Here's some examples from the series, which was shown in its entirety at The Lab 101 Gallery in Culver City in November of that year.








So now I'd to revisit this idea, except with a San Francisco twist this time.  For the Burque project, I hired 6 models.  This time I'm looking for 12 models to complete the project I have in mind.  I'm hoping to hire models of all races.  I also hope to feature a great variety of different body shapes as well.  I also need models without visible tattoos, since I'll be drawing those on myself.  And since the whole project is really an homage to the gorgeous girls of San Francisco, I'm particularly looking for natives or long-term residents of the City.

All models need to be at least 18 years old.  Semi-nudity may be required in some cases, but nothing more provocative than the examples I provided above.  I can pay each model a $400 as a flat day rate.

I will be holding open castings at The Skullz Press studio at 260 Divisadero Street this Saturday July 18, from noon to 7pm.  There will be a second open casting on Sat July 25 at the same times.  If you can't make it to the studio on either of those Saturdays, or you live out of town and would still like to be considered, for free to e-mail me a few photos and some basic information about yourself.  mike@mikegiant.com

Models will be chosen by the end of this month so that shooting can begin in August.

Thanks for your help!